Re: (PM) dial-in users and broadcast

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Sun, 31 May 1998 10:27:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Vlado Potisk wrote:

> When a dial-in PPP user connects to the PM, he
> gets assigned one IP address from the pool and
> also the netmask. Using the IP and netmask he
> can easily construct the broadcast address (all
> bits in host portion are ones) and send a packet
> to that address - and indeed some of our users
> are really doing it.
>
> Does such broadcasting have any meaning on
> point-to-point modem links ? If yes, which hosts
> exactly is this boradcast supposed to reach ?

The netmask he should be given is 255.255.255.255 because he is being
given a host address.

Win 95 and NT are both broken because they seem to ignore the netmask
under certain circumstances and blab on the .255 and sometimes on the
.255.255 address of whatever IP address they are assigned. I never assign
the .255 address to anything because of this even if it is a legit
address and filter out these destinations.

Doug Ingraham The best defense against logic is ignorance.
Rapid City, SD
USA