Re: (PM) Port IP's

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Mon, 25 May 1998 12:58:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Robert Hough wrote:

> When a user connects to our pm2e, I noticed it assigns ip's randomly. I am
> going to assume, I can tell it, what port gets what ip, but I dont see it
> anywhere in the docs. So, I assumed it would be like adding an ip to the
> ethernet port. Before I try this, I just want to make sure this is correct.
> Here's what I *think* I should do... set s0 x.x.x.x, set s1 x.x.x.x, etc...
> is this right?

Go ahead and let it assign the pool. It's not really random. It starts
with the lowest IP in the pool for the first connection, then the next.
Once each IP has been assigned once, it will assign the least-recently-used
address to the next caller. If a caller gets disconnected, it will attempt
to assign the same IP that caller last had when reconnecting.

Your logs will allow you to macth a given caller to a given IP, you'd
need to do that anyway. But statically assigning a fixed IP to each
serial port is a lot of work, and tends to limit your flexibility when
passing a network to a dialup user, dealing with static SMTP dialups,
multilink PPP, etc.

It _looks_ a bit uglier that a given serial port doesn't have a given
IP, but it's really cleaner and more flexible this way.

Don't forget that you can (and should) set the pool size with the
"set pool nn" command. This prevents the PM from assigning IPs beyond
the range you want it to. Less important with the PM-2 than the 3,
but still a good idea.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net 805-884-6323 --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.