Re: (PM) STAC Cards

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
21 May 1998 03:26:19 GMT

According to Josh Richards <jrichard@livingston.com>:
>On 21 May 1998, Chris Adams wrote:
>> As for Linux, I don't know if it will be supported or not. I looked
>> into it a little, and as far as I could tell the algorithm is patented
>> and must be licensed, which pretty much rules out a Linux version. I
>> would be happy to be proved wrong, but I never found an actual
>> description of the algorithm anywhere.
>
>Yes it must be licensed, but as far as I understand the portable C version
>is licensed pretty openly (and in fact free), just the more optimized and
>hardware implementations are costly.. Probably couldn't be GPL'd and
>distributed with the kernel, but a 3rd-party patch would probably be
>do-able. I don't know.

Do you know where I can find the portable C version or who to contact to
get it and info about licensing terms?

Under Linux, PPP compressors are only compiled as kernel modules so that
licensing issues are not a big problem.

--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services