Re: (PM) STAC Cards

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 19:32:52 -0700 (PDT)

On 21 May 1998, Chris Adams wrote:

> According to Josh Richards <jrichard@livingston.com>:
> >STAC has absolutely no relation or knowledge of what the underlying link
> >is. You can run it over POTS, ISDN, CT1, or a tin-can and a string
> >(although I'm not aware of any IETF standards covering that last one..)
> >;-)
>
> What about the link specified in RFC 1149?

Don't see why it wouldn't work... :)

> >The client software just has to support it. Windows 95/NT supports it
> >with the latest updates installed. If you dial in with another router
> >such as an OR using the async interface on it, you can do STAC just fine.
> >I'm not sure about MacOS. Linux should have some patches that do it, or
> >if not it will soon.
>
> I didn't know NT supported STAC yet - I thought NT only did MS-STAC,
> which the PM-3 didn't support.

We do not do MPPC, but NT, supposedly in the latest updates, can do both
MPPC or regular STAC LZS.

> As for Linux, I don't know if it will be supported or not. I looked
> into it a little, and as far as I could tell the algorithm is patented
> and must be licensed, which pretty much rules out a Linux version. I
> would be happy to be proved wrong, but I never found an actual
> description of the algorithm anywhere.

Yes it must be licensed, but as far as I understand the portable C version
is licensed pretty openly (and in fact free), just the more optimized and
hardware implementations are costly.. Probably couldn't be GPL'd and
distributed with the kernel, but a 3rd-party patch would probably be
do-able. I don't know.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>