Re: (PM) Giving only partial T-1 bandwidth over full T-1

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Tue, 19 May 1998 17:27:32 -0400 (EDT)

cadams@ro.com (Chris Adams) wrote:
> We want to offer fractional T-1 services to our customers, but the telco
> doesn't really want to deal with fractional T-1s.

Same here, and I can't blame them. The copper's in place, and takes
up the same resources at the switch whether full or frac. Besides, when
a customer wants to up the bandwidth ASAP, leaving the telco out of it
is best!

> Now for the real question: can I just tell both ends to use channels 1-4
> (for example) to give someone 256k bandwidth? Then if they want to
> upgrade to 512k, just tell both ends to use channels 1-8? In other
> words, can I take a full T-1, and then only use a few of the channels
> for data?

Absolutely. All T1 CSU/DSU's I've seen allow this. I've done it myself
of Motorola FT100S and Adtran TSU LT's. Works like a charm. I believe the
PM3 CSU (both built-in and card) will allow this; PMVision (nee Amber)
has provisions for Frac T - just set the number of 64K channels and there
you are.