Re: (PM) when will 3.8 be ready?

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 18:59:47 -0700 (PDT)

On 18 May 1998, Christopher Masto wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 01:16:19AM -0700, Josh Richards wrote:
> > Officially, it is not recommended that you run a beta release on any
> > production box and if you do, you do so at your own risk. Obviously, many
> > people do still run it on any box they happen to have lying around, and
> > that is fine as long as you bear in mind we always put the word *beta* in
> > there for a reason. :-)
>
> Hopefully you put it in there for what it has traditionally meant:
> "Based on our internal testing, this works pretty well, so we'd like
> the general public to help us test it out. In return for your help,
> we'll work with you to solve the problems you find and keep you informed
> of our progress.",

I hope so. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time here... ;-) Things don't
always go perfect, obviously, but that is what we are always trying to
accomplish. Trying to track whether something is truly a bug, a
configuration issue, new feature, just misinformation, or whatever is
always hard, especially when dealing with new and not-as-well-proven
software releases.

It gets even more difficult when you've made a call into support and
reported a potential bug, because the person on the other end of the line
(here) is not usually in a position to acknowledge it as an actual bug (if
it is new) at that very moment. This doesn't mean they are ignoring you,
because every call into support gets tracked, but it takes time to verify
things and make sure the right people are informed which means you may not
get the answer you immediately want from them. Be patient, and make sure
that they have it logged with a ticket before you get off of the phone. If
it is not fixed in the next release, *and* not listed in the release notes
as being a known issue, call or e-mail support again and report is as a
still-open issue that is affecting you.

> .......as opposed to what Netscape and Microsoft use it for:
> "Here's an unfinished and unsupported prerelease version. If you find
> a bug, we don't care."

MS sells their beta releases sometimes.. I guess they have a different
take on what the word "beta" means.

-jr
----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>