Re: (PM) Filters

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Mon, 18 May 1998 11:55:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Robert Hough wrote:

>I've been playing the filters for our PM, and I've got the email only
>filters working that I found here. However, it seems that I can check mail
>just fine. The problem is sending. It takes anywhere from 30-40 seconds to
>just a message. I read through some of the archives, and saw mention of
>this elsewhere. I never found a solution. One person mention that it might
>be DNS related. That's not the case, as I dialed in as another user with no
>restrictions, and it sends just fine. Besides, these are being sent to our
>local network. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been trying
>to figure this one out for the past few days.

What the person who mentioned that it may be DNS related is refering to is
that the filter may be blocking access to DNS (port 53) to one or more of
the nameserverss that the user has configured to handle DNS. Maybe, it
can only get to its secondary or tertiary DNS server via your filters and
the primary is blocked, thus causing a delay on nameserver lookups. You
may also want to see if you are allowing access to auth (identd) requests
as a few mail clients use that as well. I don't see the delays you do,
but then again I allow DNS queries to anywhere and auth requests to the
mail server as well.

Take Care

Stephen Zedalis
System Administrator - Exis Net, Inc.