Re[2]: (PM) Power Outage and old password

Adam Goryachev (adamg@dot.net.au)
Mon, 18 May 1998 11:48:15 +1000

> > On Sat, 16 May 1998, William P. J. Bressette wrote:
> >
> > > well I told the boss but it finally happened today a power outage and no
> > > UPS on any of the equipment.
> Welcome to the tropics. We put in a nice puppy with an auto-transfer
> switch and bam, we get hit with a typhoon that leaves us without power for
> two and a half months. Boy did our fuel bills go up. It was the best 20k
> I ever spent.

Hmmm, just out of interest, wouldn't most of your customers also have lost
power for those 2.5 months?? I'm not sure how any of them would have managed to
connect to you without power...

BTW, From what I have heard, you need both a UPS *and* a generator in order to
give the generator time to startup (I know of one backbone provider that has a
large number of batteries as well before the generator).

Hmmm, do you need to switch off the generator to fill it up with fuel?? (like a
car), I assume you just drain the UPS for this period..., How efficient is a
generator for supplying electricity (ie, fuel costs compared to electric
company costs). How long does one 'tank' of fuel last?? And finally, where do
you keep it?? Obviously you need some sort of ventilation, we are on the 19th
floor, and it would be difficult to do this sort of thing....

Regards,
Adam Goryachev
Network Operations Centre
Dot Communications Ltd