Re: (PM) no connect

Scot W. Hetzel (hetzels@westbend.net)
Tue, 12 May 1998 17:19:22 -0500

From: Lawrence Blades <lrblades@clarksdale.com>

>Agghhhhh....
>Most of my 56K modem customers can't connect to my NEW PM3.
>LCP_ECHO_REPLY & REQUEST just repeat over and over.
>
>Windows DUN returns error: could not negotiate a compatible set of
>network protocols specified in the Server Type settings.
>
>I don't think the user settings are the prob. Believe the PM3 is not
>configured correctly.
>
>Help??

Below is the config I use for my users:

Command> sh s12
--------------------- Current Status - ISDN Port
S12 ------------------------
Input: 0 Abort Errors: 0
Output: 0 CRC Errors: 0
Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 0
TX Errors: 0 Frame Errors: 0
Modem Status: DCD- CTS- TELCO+ Disconnect:

Active Configuration Default Configuration
-------------------- ---------------------
Port Type: Netwrk Netwrk (Dial In) (Security)
Line Speed: 64000 64000

Interface: Unassigned (PPP,Routing,VJ-Comp)
Mtu: 0 0
Dial Group: 0
Directory No:

The problem is most likely that Windows DUN is messed up.

The below url explains the problem and several actions to fix it:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/0/79.asp

and see bellow url on how to uninstall DUN.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q181/5/99.asp

Basically, what the above two articles say is that you need to remove all
Networking from the computer, reboot & reinstall Networking. If that still
doesn't work then you'll need to install DUN 1.2.

DUN v1.2 (Updated 27 Oct 97) is available from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/contents/Updates/W95DialUpNetw/de
fault.asp

along with Winsock to version 2.0 (only needed if user is using IE 4.0):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/contents/Updates/W95Sockets2/defa
ult.asp

Scot