Re: (PM) Digest mismatch

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Tue, 12 May 1998 11:52:37 -0400 (EDT)

portmaster@she.de wrote:
> pw_recv:Digest mismatch
>
> if I try to make a PPP connect to our PM3.
>
> I saw in the archived mailing list for portmaster-users some similar
> questions about this problem, but I never find a satisfying answer nor a
> solution for it.

I never got this resolved; of all the PM's I've had, only one ever did
this, and despite reloading the ComOS, flashing the ROMs and uploading
configs known to work on saved machines, Livingston kept thinking it was
a configuration issue. It only did this when security was turned on, BTW.

Eventually I just shipped back the unit; it was a replacement for one of the
first PM2's that got recalled for a WAN port error, which I still have and
use, just not the WAN port. If I'd bugged Livingston for yet another
replacement, I probably could have gotten one, but I never bothered.

My guess is that in 99% of the cases, there is a config issue, but sometimes
there's just something wonky in a PM. You definitely need to call their
support on this one.