Re: (PM) more PM3 q's needing a's (fwd)

Josh Richards (josh@lucent.com)
Mon, 11 May 1998 02:27:31 -0700 (PDT)

On 11 May 1998, Samudra E. Haque wrote:

> Okay, assuming we have a total of 4 E1's to a data center that is:
> 4 x 2 Mbps - > 4 x 30ch -> 120 DS0, yes?

Correct (well, technically you'll have 4x32 DS0 at this point, but 2 per
E1 are used for signalling).

> we need to spread the modems around into two boxes:
> 6 slots x 10 modems x 2 PM3 -> 120 digital modem ports, yes?

Correct.

[..]
> Q. If the solution is to have ONE of the PM3's in the stack to have a
> WAN router card -- is there a E1 specific version of the item
> mentioned in
> http://www.livingston.com/Marketing/Products/pm3_specifications.html
> I quote: "When the PortMaster 3 is configured for both dial-up and
> Leased Line service using different switch sources, it is recommended
> that the optional T1 WAN card be installed".

You can either purchase less modem cards and use one of the E1 ports on
the PM-3 as a WAN port to connect back to your POP or you you'll need
another router of some type. Unfortunately, the T1 WAN Expansion Card
does not (yet) have an E1 equivalent and I don't know when it will.

-jr
----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>