Re: (PM) Multiline PPP (fwd)

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Thu, 7 May 1998 10:09:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Michael Slater wrote:

>Thanks,
> It worked.. Although the ftp.livingston.com site was pretty slow today :)
>
>Anyway, it works but seems slower with both modems going than with just one
>modem

Hmm... I normally use a Linux box at home as my network gateway to the
ISP I work for. I wanted to test MP so I switched over to NT 4.0 and ran
two modems, one V.90 (USR Courier) at 48000 and one K56Flex (Zoom 2849) at
42000. I could only get about 8.2 KB/sec with both modems going and
transfering my news active file. This is compared to 5.3 KB/sec with just
the V.90 modem. And yes, modem compression was on. So yes, adding a
modem made a small improvement.

My Linux tests showed a 10.92 KB/sec transfer rate of the same file with
just the V.90 modem connect (so 1 modem on this OS beat out MP on Win NT).
I got 15.60 KB/sec with the Linux EQL driver and both modems with same
connect rates as above. BTW, the EQL balancing on the Portmaster side was
very uneven giving 2/3 of the traffic to the first modem connected and
only 1/3 to the second modem. The traffic from the linux box was exactly
even.

I don't know whether to chalk up the difference due to the MP
implementation and extra overhead, or an inability of NT's Winsock to
handle the traffic and interrupt rates compared to Linux. I'd rather wait
and see and not start a flame war.