Re: (PM) RFE for idle time

Jeff Carneal (jeff@apex.apex.net)
Wed, 6 May 1998 10:13:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 May 1998, NOT a LE employee wrote:

> > How many people would like to see a field in the radius detail counting up
> > the total idle time for that connection. Seems like it would be really
> > useful to those of us who are giving unlimited accounts and such. Any
> > takers?
>
> Hmm, you mean the total of all time that the account was idle? Would that
> be possible? I think that the idle time is only held by the one counter
> on the PM and it potentially could report this number if the person was >

No, just the total time that use was idle during that particular
connection. Put it with the STOP accounting records in the detail. The
trouble is, there's no way to compute this now on our own. If you get the
value via SNMP, let's say, every minute, then you can't sum the value you
get at 10:01 with the value you got at 10:00. What you'd have to do is
loop until your script sees it get set back to 0, and then begin all over
again. This is still very kludgy considering the smallest possible time
value for a cron job is a minute.

So anyway, a user connects, the ComOS keeps track of their total idle time
for that connection internally and then spits it out to the radius server
when the connection is ended. I'm essentially asking for a grand total of
48 (at most) new integers in the ComOS.

--
  Jeff Carneal - Sys Admin - Apex Internet
  jeff@apex.net http://www.apex.net (502) 442-5363

The opinions expressed above aren't really mine. They belong to someone else who also refuses to take responsibility for them.