Re: Lights for PM3 - Was Re: (PM) hubs w/ PM3s

D. Germain (dg@webnet.qc.ca)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:02:40 -0500

I must say something on this,

Well we have a TCH and some PM3 - another one is coming by the end of the
week - and I would like to mention that:

1 The TCH is a good box but not so easy to manage than the PM3

2 The TCH is more expensive to keep running than the PM3. You must buy
service contract to get help after 3 months and also to get the upgraded
code. Not to mention that the price of these contracts are very high!!!

3 Techsupport is so bad that even representatives from USR/3Com have
difficulties getting them at the phone. Now think about the cost of the
service contract and what you'll do while you'll hear some classical music
on the phone waiting for one of their tech.

4 Their preferate song is "It is a telco issue" writen from someone inside. ;)

On the other end,

1 Our first server from Livingston was a PM2ER and we sold it lately not
because we were unsatisfied with it, but because we were upgrading all of
our lines to digital one. The PM2ER was online since febuary 96 and never
had any problem with it. I also gave the company who buy it from us a 6
months warranty because I'sure of the reliability of the product.

2 The Livingston site is very handful to get started with their products

3 The PM3 is at my taste, a very well designed box compare to the TCH - TCH
is a lot of heat and a lot of noise (with the fan tray).

4 The upgraded code is free at Livingston

5 I've only had to use tech support 1 time at Livingston and was answered
correctly by the ingeneer over the phone. He did take the time to connect
to my box and see for himself.

Finally, with all the trouble I had with the TCH, and frankly and dont see
myself as a super pro nor do I see myself as a "deux de pique" (sorry for
the french but I'm sure everyone can extrapolate) and would say that I
surprised myself having the tought of having the TCH going through the
window and have it finished by a webmaster and a hammer!

AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! I feel great now!

Sorry folks but I had to place it on this list (for the rare time I write
to it) and anyone planning to buy these kind of box, should think seriously
before buying USR/3COM!

It is only my opinion but I'm sharing it! :)

Have a nice day ALL!

DG