(PM) Re: PM3 questions

NOT a LE employee (livingston@iav.com)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:28:29 -1000 (HST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Daniel Camacho wrote:

> >> I've manged to get Trumpet winsock working with Win 3.1 thanks to
> >> David Routh for providing the scripts. I'm using a Hayes Accura 28.8
> V.34+FAX
> >> modem for this test and when I use Trumpet winsock, I get a full 28.8
> connect.
> >> However, when I use the same modem in my Win95 machine with the new
> >> Win95 DUN+new winsock, I only get 9600. Does anyone have this problem with
> >> Hayes modems? Thanks.
> >
> >check port speed settings etc...
> >
> >port should be 115200 and hardware...
> >
> >AND take out parts and pieces of DUN authentication that you don't need.
>
> The thing is, it is set at 115200 and I've removed setting in the DUN that I
> think is not necessary, but I still get 9600.

Modem is set, what about the port itself? You may also want to try 1 to 3
commas to see if it's the v.8 tone.

> I have another question. I have 2 PM3's and line0 and line1 on the first
> PM3 are
> up, and only one T1 line on the second PM3's is being used right now with a
> total
> of 72 dialup lines. I'm using CT1 and have configured the PM3's for such.
> My question
> is, do lines 0 and 1 on have to have the same recieve levels?

No each line is individual.... but if they all come from the same telco
switch and cable trunk you should have similar levels...

[snip]

> Also, as you can see, I'm getting CRC Erros on both lines. What would be
> the ideal recieve level for this? Is this a Telco thingy?

It's been noted somewhere that a -.5db is optimum for lines, but I'm not
sure if the person meant digital padding or POTS. If you have MANY CRCs
you better check where it's coming from. Try changing the cable(s) you
have going from the PM3 to the telco equipment. Make sure that the telco
equipment IS set to what you have. Ask them to check the switch itself
and not their billing records... I can't emphasize enough how they'll look
at a piece of paper and say yeah it's setup that way and then check the
equipment themselves to see its not.

> One last question, when I do 'show all' I see this:
>
> Port Speed Mdm Host Type Status Input Output
> Pend
> ---- ----- --- ---------------- ------ ------------- ---------- ----------
> ----
> C0 9600 off Login/ USERNAME 0 11
> 0
> S0 64000 on Netwrk IDLE 149536 1055829
> 0

[snip]

> In the 'Speed' section, can I change that to 115200 for the modem port
> speed? or does this
> have to be either 56K or 64K. I would appreciate any pointers to improve
> the performance
> of my PM3's. Thanks.

8) well, from what I've seen if it's idle it'll show the default port
speed which is the ISDN... remember each port shown is actually the telco
port/ISDN (on the PM3). Only when it shows a modem in use will it show
up to the 115200.... and thats in a sh mX

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood