(PM) Re: simultaneous login check (was: no subject)

Frank Heinzius (frimp@mms.de)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:28:34 +0100

Daniel,

On 22 Feb 98 at 11:01, Daniel Henry wrote:

[...]
> on a single unit. What REALLY irks me is what they mentioned about RADIUS.
> The new Radius ABM ,which costs a pretty penny, will limit simultaneous
> logins, while the new free Livingston radius will not... that sux.

To clarify: RADIUS is not a resource management protocol. Therefore the managing of
NAS-related resources like *active* logins is not the task of RADIUS.
However, a RADIUS-based software like RADIUS ABM may support resource management, because
this software extends the normal job base RADIUS has.
See, Livingston invented RADIUS. They give it out nearly for free. Why not get paid for
the engineering power spent on sophicticated tools like ABM?

If you want the "normal" RADIUS do simultaneous login check, why not write additional,
portable software an distribute it? This is the way how GNU and Linux went important.

Iīm not a good programmer, wish I could do it myself: a demon, which uses the RADIUS
databases for user info (and this demon should not be compiled into RADIUS!) and checks
the NASes with standard SNMP (get system.interfaces, build a database every xx minutes
and throw out double or *le logins)...

Donīt blame Livingston for trying to earn money like other vendors already do regarding
RADIUS and so-called "Security & Accounting Servers"...

Frank

best regards,

--
Frank M. Heinzius              MMS Communication AG
mailto:frimp@mms.de            Eiffestrasse 598