Re: (PM) IRX-114 Trouble

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 02:24:38 -0800 (PST)

On 15 Feb 1998, Jason Hatch wrote:

> IRX-114, ComOS 3.7.3, 1 Meg Ram
>
> Some bizarre things have been happening with my IRX-114 lately. Most
> notably, are dropped telnet sessions, and dropped packets while telnetting
> into the unit. I've been getting the following log messages in my
> packet filter log:
>
> Feb 15 10:19:37 router1.berkshire.net 1 deny: UDP frm_slifread(206.72.196.10):
> unknown type = 0035

I haven't seen this before. It is receiving a packet on the Frame Relay
interface that it doesn't like. I'm quite sure how a packet could be
matching a UDP filter rule, when it doesn't like the packet to begin with.

> When telnetting into my IRX to look at my filter, I noticed something
> strange: it would not print its login banner completely. Here's a
> transcript of the session:
>
> Reconnecting to %q ...
>

> ComOS - Livin
>
> At this point, I had to press enter to get a login prompt. It would allow
> me to login, do a 'show sess', a 'show mem' but when I tried to view my
> packet filter, it would hang when I pressed enter and later drop my

How much memory did a "show mem" display as being available? This could
happen if running extremely low on memory. I have no idea why that would
be a problem for you though.

> session. I tried this twice and it would let me perform other commands,
> but each time I tried to do a 'show filter <filtername>' it would hang
> when I pressed enter and later disconnect my session. I noticed another
> thing showing in my packet filter logs about the time it was dropping me:

I'm curious, are you telnet'ing to the IRX through the FR port?

> Feb 15 10:19:37 router1.berkshire.net 1 deny: host:
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this strange behavior?
>
> -Jason

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/