Re: (PM) Mysterious death?

Zak Wolfinger (zak@cyberlink.com)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 22:42:19 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy A. Gregory <systems@tarjema.com>
To: portmaster-users@livingston.com <portmaster-users@livingston.com>
Date: Saturday, February 21, 1998 10:31 PM
Subject: (PM) Mysterious death?

>I read somewhere that I could plug a modem into the console port. I've
>never tried it, and I don't know if it would answer when it gets like
>this. I'd be happy to give it a shot, but I don't know how to force the
>box to freeze up so I can test it before it 150 miles away.

Unfortunately I can't give you any pointers as to why this is happening, but
I can give you a couple tips that will make you life easier.

1) Hooking a modem to the console port works great.

2) Invest into remote power cycling devices. For a remote POP, you can
dial a number, punch in a code and viola - no power to the PM3. Punch in a
second code, voila - instant reboot. This will pay for itself the first
time you don't have to drive 150 miles just to cycle the power.

Zak Wolfinger