Re: (PM) New user questions

Scott Rothgaber (scott@easley.net)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 19:54:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Scott A. Morris wrote:

> 1) Is there any way to keep SMTP and POP3 calls from resetting the idle
> timer? Without this, a subscriber doesn't even have to get a keep alive
> program. They can just use their email client software to stay on line
> forever.

This may not be what you're looking for, but it works for me. 99.9% of my
accounts are 12, 24 or 36-month subscriptions (paid in full up front). In
the House Rules on our Web site we tell them that keeping a connection
alive in such a manner is grounds for termination without refund.

The first time each new customer checks his mail, he gets a bulletin. In
addition to thanking him for his business, it gives the URL of the House
Rules Page, and reminds him that "Using the system in any capacity implies
that you have read and agree to abide by the House Rules."

We have YET to have any trouble of this sort.