Re: (PM) Semi-Off Topic: UPS Considerations

Scott Rothgaber (scott@easley.net)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:30:33 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Jason Hatch wrote:

> an APC Smart-UPS 1400:
>
> 4 PM2e30's (all async - I estimated 30 watts a piece (range was 20-40)
> 1 IRX-114 (4 sync - I estimated 40 watts)
> 2 USR MP/16's (at 94 watts a piece)
> 1 USR MP/8 (at 47 watts)
> 1 ISPorte 64 (64 modems -- I calculated 2A which came out to 168 watts)

This should be fine. I've got the SU1400RM (Rack Mount) and the following
is plugged into it:

CSU/DSU
Router
PM3
Main Server (*LOTS* of drives, etc)
Backup Mail Server
14" Monitor
17" Monitor
Two External Modems

The load is in the 20% range (one light is on). Several weeks ago, we lost
power. After I shut down the monitors and the backup mail server, the 1400
ran the whole show for over two hours, while I ran to Home Depot to get a
generator. ;-)

It really depends, as you said, on how much reserve time you're looking to
have. If you have a genuine, automatic backup generator, you don't need
much at all. As you said earlier, one of the main benefits is having clean
power while it's on.