Re: (PM) Win95 Software Compression

Scott Winders (winders@netgate.net)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:15:51 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Brian Elfert wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Don Lashier wrote:
>
> > Superstition. I have all my users check the box even tho I don't
> > have the stac cards, cause when I get them, I don't want to
> > reconfigure everyone. Never had a problem.
>
> You really should have everyone turn off software compression in Windows.

It depends on what you want to accomplish.

> Stac compression won't have any benefit if V.42Bis is turned on in the
> modem, and I doubt any of your users have V.42Bis turned off.

The tests I have conducted show that using STAC compression in Win95 is
about 20% faster than using V.42BIS. Personally, I would just assume my
customers use V.42BIS. However, I would use STAC.

> I think throughput might actually be reduced if both Stac and V.42Bis are
> used, but I don't remember for sure.

Not at all. The PM3 automatically disables STAC if V.42BIS is detected.

Scott Winders
winders@netgate.net