Lights for PM3 - Was Re: (PM) hubs w/ PM3s

Richard Stuplich (dick@dw.net)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:25:01 -0600

We made a connector that runs a cable inside the unit through the air flow
openings in the PM3s that have LEDs on them to show the connection state of
the lines separate Mxx ports.

It works like a champ, or more the point - would if it were possible to do.

I am just kidding!

I see no reason for lights on the units, other than to compete with the LPD
value of the TCH (LPD=Lights Per Dollar).

We go weeks without even going into the equipment room. Get pmwho and cron
a job to get yourself a web page that shows pictures of the units with LEDs
on them, where you think they should be, and then stare at that all day.
Or wait for the JAVA client from Lucent.

Please, Lucent, do not waste your time on LEDs, they have no real value as
far as I can tell.

For the current price for a PM3 we are lucky they are made out of metal and
have rack mounts! The units kick ass and are the best value around.

We have a TCH and it sucks so bad I want to smash it with a hammer. It
reboots all the time and to pay to get help for a unit we spent $28,000 for
48 ports for (We got one of the first to do x2) is sick. Does 3com think
we are just calling for fun and do not have a TCH when they ask for serial
numbers and contract codes. What a f'd up setup. Do not patronize 3com by
buying x2 hardware, ask about support... Think... Buy Lucent.

The support for the TCH is so bad that if it was something with the OS I
use to call Livingston because they wrote it for USR.

IP Engineer and Unix administrator Dick@Stuplich.net