Re: (PM) Why 56k and not 64k

R Gibbons (rkg@empirenet.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:43:11 -0800 (PST)

I see the 56K vs 64K connection issue all the time here
in PacBell land. Here we have to dial 1(areacode)(number)
to get 64K. About a month ago I had a 128K dedicated ISDN
line go down. The customer has P130's on each end of the
circuit and it was running 2 64K channels (using the 1(areacode)
(number). I went in to the P130 on our side and tested
a 56K connection by removing the 1(areacode) from the dialing.
The circuit worked at 56 and 112K. The PB circuit was screwed
up (4 out of 5 PB techs I spoke with said there was nothing wrong
with the circuit, that it must be our equipment). One tech
saw a problem, corrected it and the circuit came back at
2 64K channels. The moral of the story is make sure the telco
has the circuit setup properly for 64K, and try 1(areacode).

Regards,
Rich Gibbons
EmpireNet Inc.