Re: (PM) Multiple Logins - How to eliminate them?

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:40:42 -0500

Jeremy Anthony Kinsey writes:
> Brian Locascio uttered...
>
> >I have a question about multiple logins. We have several businesses who
> >purchase one account and copy the info to about 20 employee computers.
> >Then they all login and abuse our network by occupying more than one modem
> >at a time.
> >
> >I am looking for responses, opinions, and possibly answers to the
> >questions, "Using the PM3, is there any way to EASILY identify, track, and
> >deter multiple simultaneous logins?"
> >
> This is an answer most probably don't like to hear, but the solution is
> quite simple:
> Purchase a RADIUS Server that prevents it.

Another, even simpler, answer is: if businesses want to do this, sell
it to them as a product. That's what we do.

We make the price of multi-simultaneous-user account =
(authorized simultaneous users) x (price of single-user account)

Since we can't easily enforce an authorized limit, we base the price
going forward on past history, and we make the limit a soft limit,
allowing occasional overruns.

Pick your own policies, but this "problem" is an opportunity.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)