RE: (PM) DHCP

Per Hedeland (per@erix.ericsson.se)
6 Feb 1998 09:33:17 GMT

Rod Hewitt writes:
>Thanks for the clarification. Is DHCP Proxy via Ethernet EVER going to
>be supported? Every WAN I install could use it and although I would HATE
>to switch equipment, if it's never going to be part of ComOS, then it's
>time for me to find another router since the amount of effort learning
>new communications equipment is much less than configuring the IP, DNS
>and WINS addresses of thousands of PCs.

I have to admit that my understanding of DHCP relaying is rather vague
as yet, so maybe I'm missing something, but: In this scenario, wouldn't
it work fine to "just" have a DHCP relay *on* the "remote" Ethernet/LAN?
I.e. I believe that once relayed, DHCP requests are just ordinary
unicast UDP packets that ComOS can send on their merry way like
everything else, without any need for DHCP-specific functionality - and
that the same goes for the DHCP server's replies to those requests, of
course (sent to the relay, whose responsibility it is to do the actual
reply to the client).

This solution is of course not possible if you don't *have* a "remote"
Ethernet/LAN, but only one end of a PPP connection, which is why that
scenario requires support from ComOS - said support being what I gather
is currently available.

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se