RE: (PM) Problems with E1 Fract in Europe, Anyone? (fwd)

melo@co.telenet.pt
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 13:33:29 -0000 (WET)

On 05-Feb-98 MegaZone wrote:
> Once upon a time melo@co.telenet.pt shaped the electrons to say...
>>We are setting up our 9th portmaster PM3 but our first using the line1 as a
>>Fractional E1.
>>I set it up, groupped two channels with
>> set line1 group 1 channels 1 2
>>and after the reboot I had my w32 interface
>
> Channelized and Fractional are not the same thing. What you are doing
> here is for a channelized line, but you said Fractional - which is it?

Ok, I did some checking around... Right now I'm a bit confused with terms. Let
me try and figure this out.

First, what I have installed by the local telco is a 2meg line received in
G703/G704 with timeslots 1 and 2 used by a 128k link.

In another POP, we have a CISCO 4500 with a E1 controler that takes this line
and groups the two timeslots to give a serial interface. The Cisco calls this
type of line Channelized E1. This interface can have more lines to other places
that come in on the other timeslots. For ex, I can have a 128k line using TS 1
and 2 to the backbone, another 64k line to a customer in TS 4, and yet another
64k line to another customer on TS 5. Cisco would create 3 Serial interfaces by
grouping these channels.

That's the setup I want to do with the PM3.

Now this is what I interpret from the Livingston docs...

The PM3 can have 5 different types of lineX: ISDN (ISDN primary rate
interface), T1 (used in the states), E1 (Europe 2meg line), Fractional (both E1
.and T1) and Inband (Chann T1 in the states).

I would assume that I should configure the line1 (in my case) with set line1
fractional and then do set line1 group 1 channels 1 2 to get my w32
interface to the backbone...

But if I do that, the line is always down... If I do a set line1 e1 the line is
up.

hmms... Fractional (E1) and Channelized E1 seem similar... I dont really know
the difference between the two... Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

Melo