RE: (PM) out of slots!! (fixed)

Chad Scott (chad@txdirect.net)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 20:49:28 -0600

On Wednesday, February 04, 1998 5:30 PM, Livingston maillists address
[SMTP:radius@guarddog.comptime.com] wrote:
> Thanx Paul, the answer was right on.
>
> Checking the line stats showed a couple o' million bipolar violations
> and a few thousand sync errors.
>
> These all occured when the customer was using a 3com Office Connect
> ISDN Lan Modem. The customer reported a slow throughput - guess that
> makes sense with a few millon retries :-)
>
> There has been no additional bipolar or sync errors since he stopped
> using the 3Com (he's using a NetCommander now).
>
> The assumtion is a bad 3Com. Did'nt kow those error counters could
> mean a bad end device ....
>
> So munich is the hdlc chip ?... guess I can stop looking for the
> beer tap on the side of the pm3 ... , would have made a nice option,
> let the marketing manager know ... :-)

You shouldn't be seeing bipolar or sync errors from an end device. Those
particular errors are framing and timing from the telco, not the end dev
ice.

Is this particular customer the only one dialing in on this PRI? You won't
see many errors on the PRI if it is idle because there is very little data
being transmitted. Once you have someone dialed in, you're sending data
and the errors start climbing.

If you have more than one person on this particular PRI and only this
customer causes errors, then you've got me stumped. The telco has to be
doing some strange things to end up with bipolar violations on a T1 because
of a particular unit being dialed in.

Chad Scott
Network Operations
Internet Direct, Incorporated