Re: (PM) Max memory on PM3?

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 19:32:49 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Stephen Fisher wrote:

> The software limit (i.e. if somehow a need is found for more it isn't a
> limit from hardware but rather software which can be easily changed AFAIK)
> is 32MB. I don't know how many BGP4 views you can hold but I believe you
> can hold something like 4 on 16MB (7mb for the first, 3 for each
> additional).

>From the ComOS 3.7 Release notes:

A full BGP routing table for the entire Internet (44,000 routes)
requires seven (7) megabytes of memory, so before using BGP for that
you should upgrade your IRX or PM-3 to 16 megabytes of memory.
Additional routing peers will require about 2 megabytes per additional
peer beyond the first one. For more information on upgrading memory
consult the Installation Guide for your product, or see "Memory
Requirements" below.
---<URL:http://www.livingston.com/Tech/Docs/Release/>

32 MB is the most I've seen in a PM3.

> On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 06:22:11PM -0800, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>
> > Everything I've heard says that the PM3 can take up to 16 Mb RAM, but the
> > datasheet on the Web page says 32 Mb. Which is correct, and how many full
> > routing table views can a PM3 hold in 32 Mb? Thanks!

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/