Re: (PM) (PM3/Radius) Windows NT 4.0 and that darn TCP..

Rick Davidson (rick@buckeyeweb.com)
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:47:41 -0500

I have seen that same scenario when you assign a static IP address to the
dialup adapter upon dialup and that same static address is bound to the NIC
card. Both the NIC and the dialup connections will exibit the same
symptoms.

Rick Davidson
Buckeye Internet Services Ltd.
Director of Intergalactic Affairs and Interspecies Mediation
Phone: 440-953-1900 Fax: 440-953-1050

----------
From: James Tavares <krontor@loa.com>
Subject: (PM) (PM3/Radius) Windows NT 4.0 and that darn TCP..
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 1997 8:11 PM

Hello,

Got a little problem, and I don't know if the question has already been
asked. Anyways, here goes..

We have a PortMaster 3, and a USR Total Control Hub. We run Livingston's
Radius server on a Linux server...

The problem is that while all of our windows95/3.1/mac/unix customers can
log in and use either rack system just fine, none of out windows NT 4.0
(server or workstation) users can. (While they were able to before with no
problems.)

Specifically, Windows NT 4.0 users can login just fine, they get the
"Authenticated" message, and are able to:

Open TCP sockets (telnet/ftp/www)
Ping
Traceroute
Do NS Lookups

However, the problem seems to be happening in the TCP area... Like I said,
they can connect however they cannot seem to transfer any data. For
example, all three (telnet/ftp/www) say they got connected to the
'server', but nothing ever comes back.

I.e.
Netscape: "Connect: Host www.loa.com contacted: Waiting for reply..."

-

It is odd that the problem seems to be only with Windows NT 4.0
Server/Workstation users, while our win95/3.1/unix users can do everything
just fine..

Even "odder" is the fact that it happens to both the USR total control
rack AND the PM3.. Any chance it could be a radius server thing? We're
running:
radiusd: Livingston RADIUS 2.0.1 97/5/22 NDBM PASSCHANGE flat_users

Any insight on this problem would be greatly apreciated :)

Thanks,
James

# James Tavares #
# krontor@loa.com # If debugging is the process of re-
# # moving bugs, then programming must
# Log On America, Inc. # be the process of putting them in.
# 1.800.929.0004 #