Re: (PM) Compaq Presario 56k Modems

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:44:32 -0800

>At 10:20 PM 11/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Not sure what it is yet, but the Compaq's 56k modem doesn't connect at the
>>higher speeds. I've watched them too, if you put three commas after the
>>number it will connect at 33,600 but never anything above that.
>
>Doesn't the three commas keep it from hearing the 56k tone at the beginning
>of the negotiation? I would think that would pretty effectively prevent
>anyone from gettng 56k connections. We only use the commas kludge with
>older modems that freak out when they hear a tone they (not surprisingly)
>have no response to, and then faill to negotiate at all.

I use the 3 commas with my Global Village 56, when calling from home (it
connects fine at flex speeds from the office). Without the commas, the
negotiation is long and tortured, and winds up a notch or two slower than
with the commas, or fails altogether.

[Until proven otherwise, I can't do flex with any modem on any line
connected through 360-437 (Port Ludlow, WA), to any number I've tried in
the country. That's an over-generalization: three modems each known to do
flex from elsewhere, connected to three different lines in two locations
(one in sight of the switch were it not for the trees), and one modem on
the other two lines.]

--John

--
John Baxter (Born before ENIAC, but not by much.)
   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA