Re: (PM) Pmmon and PM3

thrasher (thrasher@cs.twsu.edu)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 15:12:30 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, John Nowack wrote:

> >I think I've tried all combinations of 23,24 46 and 48 ports/modems/etc...
> >I have run pmmon in verbose mode and it stalls as it tries to connect.

First of all let me make a quick comment here. There is a pmmon mailing
list that can be used to ask questions about pmmon. You can get on it by
emailing majordomo@squashduck.com and putting subscribe pmmon-l in the body.

Or you can direct the email to thrasher@squashduck.com and I will handle
your question.

> This is for pmmon-1.2. I don't know how different the newer
> versions are.

> Since I am looking to move to some kind of SNMP-based
> solution I haven't kept up much with pmmon.

SNMP is scheduled for the 3.0.

> The problem is that pmmon doesn't know how to hit enter to continue three
> times. You need to modify livconnect.c. Look for:
> if (get_livnumports(pmnum) > 10) {
> do_whoread(sock,pmnum,PRESSRETURN);
> toserver(sock,"\n");
> }
> and add:
> if (get_livnumports(pmnum) > 35) {
> do_whoread(sock,pmnum,PRESSRETURN);
> toserver(sock,"\n");
> }
> above it. This may not be the best solution, but it worked for me.

The 1.2 is old, and doesn't work with the PM3s by default. The more
current version has alot of improvements to it. The most major
improvement on the 2.x over the 1.2 is the polling engine process has been
completly re-written. See the web pages www.tsmon.com for information on
it. Also this Press return thing is handled alot differently in the
current version.