Re: (PM) PRI & CT1 on same PM3 (fwd)

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
19 Nov 1997 06:29:52 GMT

According to Jake Messinger <jake@ams.com>:
>On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Tim Flavin wrote:
>> With my question now answered, the only thing you can not do that I've
>> already submitted a week or two ago to rfe@ is mix PRI switch types on the
>> same box. And yes, I do have a use for this.
>
>Right! I remember you asking that Tim. It wasnt the same thing I needed.
>But why do you need 2 switch types? Are you feeding a pm 3 from 2
>different phone co's, 1 giving you b8zs and the other ami/d4?

Maybe he is connecting to BellSouth. We currently have a 3 PRI
huntgroup with them. All three PRIs were ordered exactly the same and
come from the same switch. However, the first two are configured in
AT&T 5ESS "Custom" mode (switch type 5ESS) and the third one is
configure in "National" mode (switch type NI-2). When we had the switch
guy on the phone and asked him why they were that way, he couldn't tell
us. He couldn't change it, either, because it was configured the way
his paperwork told him to do it.

Also, some ISPs, when expanding into a new area, will backhaul a PRI
back to another POP. Then you can have two PRIs from two different
switches terminating in the same unit.

Lucky for us that we most likely won't be getting any more PRIs from
BellSouth. We are going to be getting PRIs from a new local telco, KMC,
in the next couple of weeks - they are bringing their own 5ESS switch
online now. It was a nice day last year when they came in and asked us
where we wanted the fiber to terminate (except when the guy digging the
trench cut our original 50 pair phone cable :-) ). Soon, there will
only be about 6 feet of copper in our PRIs. I almost won't have to
worry about whether the cable is CAT5, twisted correctly, or any of
that.

--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services