Re: (PM) USR x2 = KFLEX ??

Jake Messinger (jake@ams.com)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:08:44 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Stephen Zedalis wrote:

> USR is NOT leaning toward Flex. They are arrogant enough to believe the
> ITU standard is going to be all X2 since they believe they own Brent
> Townshend who they claim "invented" 56K. That is why they state they will
> support the ITU standard. They have no thought that it will be K56Flex or
> anything other than X2. As most people know, the ITU standard will be

On what do you base your assumption? USR's arrogance? It does not matter
anymore as they are owned by 3COM, a company that is involved in the
development of k56flex.

> neither X2 nor K56Flex, and how "close" it will be is a moot point since
> in any case your modem is going to need a software or hardware upgrade.

I am not arguing that you won't have to upgrade modems, but its hardly
moot, in that if the ITU standard becomes something very close to k56flex,
then those companies that originally chose k56flex, (e.g. Ascend,
Livingston), will be able to complete those program changes that much
faster and get that flash rom upgrade code out there to the public.

> They are so consumed with greed, both sides are mentally calculating the
> license fees they are going to demand from modem and term server
> manufacturers. In fact, most quotes about why they couldn't come to an
> agreement in September had nothing to do with technical issues and
> everything to with the 3Com/Townshend press release and "disputes over
> licensing issues".

Most recently the articles are including more technical information as to
why k56flex is better, because of its potential higher than 336 from
remote to host for example. I have not substantiated this yet. I'll try to
call my inside source at USR today, but its not really high up on my
priority list to argue over this point, especially if you consider it
moot.

Jake Messinger 713-772-6690 jake@ams.com
Advanced Medical Systems, Inc. jake@uh.edu
8300 Bissonnet #400 fax: 713-774-3498