Re: (PM) USR x2 = KFLEX ??

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 19:56:22 -0800

At 17:03 -0600 11/15/97, Brian Elfert wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Bernie Borgmann wrote:
>
>> This is very interesting from what I can read into this it means USR
>> will support the ITU standard which is K56FLEX
>
>The international standard is NOT K56Flex.
>
>The international standard has not yet been decided. The standard will
>probably be a combination of both x2 and K56Flex.
>
>There is probably only a 1% chance that K56Flex will be choosen without at
>least some modifications.

Given that the primary X2 proponent (USR) is now owned by a Flex proponent
(3COM), and that Flex can be extended (according to Lucent) to things like
43K each direction (set aside temporarily when Rockwell came on board), it
now seems reasonable to expect that the ITU standard will likely be more
Flex-ish than X2-ish.

It also seems likely that it will be enough like both that neither camp
will have to replace DSP chips or otherwise mess about with hardware
adjustments...except to early production (like the 0.1 version Supras,
which already need a hardware fix: including my test Supra, bought
prematurely in March...and still being sold improperly as K56flex in
August).

The second paragraph's guess is perhaps weaker than the first...ITU has to
consider the situation in every participating country.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm not on the ITU committee that's
doing this, and that situation will not change.

--John

--
John Baxter (Born before ENIAC, but not by much.)
   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA