Re: (PM) USR modem <-> PM3 problems still? (fwd)

Miquel van Smoorenburg (list-portmaster-users@news.cistron.nl)
14 Nov 1997 00:07:18 +0100

In article <199711132226.OAA27047@server.livingston.com>,
MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com> wrote:
>Once upon a time Miquel van Smoorenburg shaped the electrons to say...
>>You're going to hate me for this, but how come our old analog Microcom
>>modems have no problem with it? Are the Microcoms really implementing a
>>broken V.42 so that they can talk to USRs ?
>
>1. You might not have any USRs with the bug - the apparently fixed it
>fast.
>2. Luck. The problem has been reported with Livingstons, Ascends, Ciscos,
>and even USR TCs.

Okay. As more people are switching to our PM3 modem bank, we get more
complaints. It's not only USR's - a couple of other brands too (names
escape me, I'm not at the office now). 90% of the time the problem is
fixed by turning off V.42 and only using MNP5. However I have _also_
heard that this problem is much worse in Europe than in the US of A.

Anyway most of the modems respond to AT\N3 (MNP5 mode) so that's a
temporary workaround. Hey and our return time for the old modems
got extended. That is a sure sign the European situation is different..

Mike.

--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/