Re: (PM) Static IP address per port

Dax Kelson (dkelson-portmaster@inconnect.com)
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:21:48 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Chow <peter@interq.or.jp>
To: pm-list <portmaster-users@livingston.com>
Date: Thursday, November 06, 1997 6:50 PM
Subject: (PM) Static IP address per port

>On my PM2 and PM3s, I would like configure each dial in modem
>port with a static IP address. Is this possible?
>
>I don't want a static IP for a particular user, but on the port
>so that I can filter access based on the hunt group a user dials
>into. Or is it possible to assign multiple pools on PMs?

If you use the n2h2 radius patches, it moves the IP assignment from the PM
to Radius. Radius will assign each port the same IP address every time.

This makes it very handy for troubleshooting, and tracking down abuse. If
someone sent a SPAM from a certain IP address, I know which port on which
portmaster that came from (since each port always has the same IP address).
This makes it alot easier to track down SPAM. A nice side effect is that
"show ses" will show the ips/hostnames in order all the time.

You can get the n2h2 patches by Kevin Fink from http://www.n2h2.com/radius/

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.