Re: (PM) two access servers, one phone number

Tom (tom@sdf.com)
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:10:17 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Rick Davidson wrote:

> >On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Vlado Potisk wrote:
> >
> >> The IP address of an access server is also the address
> >> of the default gateway for the customer's computer. Could
> >> it create any problems when this address is not always
> >> the same for each session ?
> >
> > It been a long time since common client software even asked for a
> >gateway address. The only people who need this now, are some routers that
> >will refused to learn the farside address.
> >
> > You can also use the reported_ip feature to make all the PMs report the
> >same address to callers.
> >
> >> Vlado Potisk
> >> -
>
> I have a customer who I have assigned a subnet for their network, they use a
> PM pcmcia office router for a dial on demand connection. currently the
> router is setup so that any traffic bound for that subnet is routed to the

The office router can be setup to learn the farside address. It isn't
very useful though, because you can't setup a default route to the learned
address. Other routers handle this better.

> first pm3 (we just added a second pm3). If the reported_ip feature is set to
> the ip of the first box will the subnet route correctly if they dial into
> the second box?

The gateway address has little to do with routing. It is just used to
specify the farside. When I set up SLIP links, I used to make up gateway
addresses for this. I wish the PMs could set a default route to a
location instead of an address.

> Rick Davidson
> Buckeye Internet Services, Ltd.
> Director of Intergalactic Affairs and Interspecies Mediation
> rick@buckeyeweb.com http://www.buckeyeweb.com
> Voice: 440-953-1900 Fax: 440-953-1050

Tom