Re: (PM) MicroCom and Livingston Hardware

Portmaster Mail List Account (bleargh@net.bluemoon.net)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 13:20:28 -0500 (EST)

This is what I used to do after I flashed up the Deskporte Fast modems in
our two Microcom QX chassis.

attach to the modem

issue the following AT commands:

AT%<1532>
ATZ
AT$B115200
AT%U1
AT&Y0
ATQ1
ATE0
AT*W

after that is done set dip switch 7 to on to force the modem into "dumb
mode"

<%1532> clears all the settings

Z loads nram of course

$B115200 sets the speed to 115200

%U1 locks that speed

&Y0 loads stored settings on power up

Q1 turns off result codes

E0 turns off echo

*W saves the whole shootin match

Set the PM's port speeds to 115200, "set sx speed 115200", "set sx speed 1
115200" and "set sx speed 3 115200" where X is the S port number or
substitute "all" for the S port (if your ComOS is recent enough) then save
them all on PM.

We had all kinds of Supras, USR's and Cardinals using them with few
problems. Most users were getting 28.8 to 33.6 connects with factory
modem settings (AT&F on peecee and usually AT&F1 on Mac).

I do reacall that there was an obscure S register on some USR v.34 modems
that fixed a retraining problem, but I can't seem to dig out the notes on
that one. I believe I picked it up from Hayes customer support and worked
on Couriers. Yup, it's S54=32 to control an undocumented "feature
negotiation" and setting it to 32 is supposed to cure a cloolessness
problem. They call S54 a "Symbol rate bit-mapped register." I imagine it
inhibits retraining to some extent.

Here are 2 recommended settings I picked up here and there, they are
"use at your own risk" and I personally don't agree 100% with them, but we
all know how the "try anything" situations go. Apparently they worked for
someone having these types of problems.

8<----
USR 28.8 to 33.6 = (change the windows modem to USR 28.8, the 33.6 entry
has a bug)
at&f2&h1&i0&r2s27=32s32=16S33=32

Supra = at&f2
---->8

Usually &f2 is for software flow control, but the H1I0 on the USR
overrides that. On a Courier S32 is voice/data switch action. On Courier
S33 is used to reduce the packet size and is a bitmapped register. S27 is
also bitmapped on the Courier and disables v.42. USR's site totally sux
and I don't have a sportster 28.8 or 33.6 manual so I can't check the
settings for that model.

Don't know why there aren't any additional for the Supra, I would add &K3
to the init when using &F2. Some Supras seem to take a lot of futzing
around for some reason.

Take it all with a grain of salt, never found a "one string cures all"
solution for USR. Never been a big fan of USR or Supra <=33.6 products.

Never seen a Cardinal init "fix" nor have we ever needed one. Never even
heard of a "600 series modem v.1.4."

We're all PM3 and USR TC (BLECH! [history after v.pcm]) now which has
taken
care of most connection problems.

BTW, we also have two fully populated QX chassis (32 modems and one spare
card) as well as four RJ26 to RJ21X telco demark cables that we aren't
using and two 4 meg PM2s, an ER-30 and and E-30, that go with those racks
and 2 Hayes Century2 (32 modems) 33.6 racks if anyone is interested.

J. Henry Priebe Jr. Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
X2 & K56flex Access net.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Online System
Anything Internet bbs.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon BBS
http://www.bluemoon.net mud.bluemoon.net 4000 - MoonMUD