RE: (PM) PM3 & 56k modems in Europe

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 16:39:12 -0700 (MST)

>From what I've heard from others, in my situation, yes. This is because I
was talking to someone at another nearby ISP (Hi Dave) and they said that
a US West tech. was telling them that the timing on the wink for the CT1's
from the US West switch around here expects the wink to be between
(something like this - don't remember) 210-240ms and the PM3 works between
140 - 250ms or so. This (apparently) has been causing one or two Loss Of
Sync Errors on the first CT1 out of two on my PM3. Both are ESF/B8ZS
u-law E&M Wink start trunk-side.

We're seeing a LOT of problems with intial connections and right after
they get the login/password prompt modems will often freeze/slow down.

I'll let the list know how the change helps.. Dialing into a PM3 with
immediate start (not mine though) has no such problems with the same
modems and same phone lines on the users end.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.
- Gallup and Grants, New Mexico