Re: (PM) Down/Admin modems and USWest provisioning

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 11:14:21 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Greg Hughes wrote:

> I'd appreciate any comments or words of wisdom concerning my situation
> here. We have six PM3's, all with 50 of the K56Flex modem cards (5-10
> modem cards per chassis) and stack cards. I've pasted in a partial "sh
> mo" listing from our first PM-3 below. Our CT-1 provisioning is:
>
> - USWest CT-1's (UAS) (New Mexico)
> - B8ZS
> - ESF
> - Wink Start
> - Send 7 (might have to change to send 1 or send 0?)

You may very well want to switch to immediate start. I finally got US
West to start processing this order. The wink start timing on the PM3 is
something like 140-240ms and US West, at least where we are in Gallup
(a town near Greg here in New Mexico for the curious) is expecting it to
be between something like 210-240ms only.. this seems to be causing a LOT
of inital connection problems and perhaps contributing to the high-load
disconnects on the other channels (no idea - going to find out when they
switch it next week).

> We are answering only modem calls on these lines (no ISDN).

Same here..

> We have had the following problems/complaints during our testing (we
> decided not to go live yet due to an office move and the known PM-3
> difficulties):
>
> - Disconnects during high traffic times. We did a mass dial-in sort of
> test where 40 users dialed in at around 8:00pm (they all hit between
> 8:00pm and 8:05pm). The users had a hard time connecting (took several
> tries in some cases) and some were dropped during that period. (At the

Several tries needed.. seems like the wink start vs. immediate start that
I just found out about (thanks Dave!).

> same time, I have been connected for three days at a time without a
> problem under the latest COM/OS release, but it hasn't solved this
> particular problem).

You are running 3.7.1c1 right?

> - One modem port (M10) kept cycling through test/admin/down/etc. modes
> and was unable to be connected to a remote modem when users dialed into
> it, so the sysadmin put it in to admin state to allow people to dial
> past it.
>
> - Another modem port (M4) has gone into down mode all by itself and has
> not come back. However, no problems dialing into subsequent modems.

Weird.. c1 fixes the ADMIN problems.

> My biggest concern is that our testers, who are all heavy users on our
> system, can make extremely reliable connections to our PM-2/USR Courier
> POTS setups, but have problems connecting to the PM-3's, and the fact
> that there seem to be periods of disconnects that affect some users.

Yeah.. c1 also fixes some random disconnection problems.

Right now we're seeing problems with almost always USR Telepath/Sportsters
and some Practical Prepherials modems..

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.