Re: (PM) PM2 newbie config ? PLEASE HELP

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 10:55:45 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Eric Dahnke wrote:

> Hello Happy Halloween,

Happy Halloween.

> I'm in need of some help. I have a PM2e30 which I'm trying to configure
> for the first time.

Ok.

> I have PMConsole ComOS 3.3.3 installed and talking to the Port Master.
>
> My Radius (Dale's Radius) is working. I can test it with radlogin and it
> works. Upon dialin with DUN, Radius never receives the authentication
> request. In fact I haven't been able to logon (with DUN) with a user
> whose entry is in the PM's internal user table either.

Ok.

> Here is parts of my PM Configuration.
>
> Global Config
> -------------------
> Default Host: 0.0.0.0
> Alternate Host: 0.0.0.0
> PAP and CHAP are enabled
> Default Route: Broadcast and Listen are checked
> Assigned Address: 0.0.0.0

You probably want to set this so it can assign ip's to dial-in users.

> I don't even have DNS on the network, do I need it?

No.

> User Table
> ---------------
> User Type: Login
> Network/Service: Telnet
> Host: Default
>
> Port Config
> ----------------
> Port Type: Network/Login: (Have tried just Login with same result)
> Login Service: Telnet port 23
> Hardware Flow Control
> Host: Default
>
> Most of the other parameters seem normal, but are not verified as
> correct.
>
> During Logon the Port in question continually shows USERNAME for status?
> And there is activity on the ethernet port during login.

Yes.

> The failure message I continually get is "The MS Dial-Up Adapter is not
> configured to work with the current network configuration. Please check
> your server type and network configuration in the Control Panel..."
>
> DUN is configured for TCP/IP only.
>
> The failure is probably telling me that the PPP connection isn't being
> established.
>
> What is wrong?

Try setting the assigned address (set assign xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) it will be
the first ip of the pool that is assigned to users. Right now it doesn't
have a tcp/ip address to assign to the user so it tries ipx/netbeui which
DUN isn't set up for.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.