Re: (PM) PM2 newbie config ? PLEASE HELP

Jake Messinger (jake@ams.com)
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 08:22:50 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Eric Dahnke wrote:

> Hello Happy Halloween,
>
> I'm in need of some help. I have a PM2e30 which I'm trying to configure for the first time.
>
> I have PMConsole ComOS 3.3.3 installed and talking to the Port Master.

Upgrade to 3.5 or later.

> My Radius (Dale's Radius) is working. I can test it with radlogin and it works. Upon dialin with DUN, Radius never receives the authentication request.
In fact I haven't been able to logon (with DUN) with a user whose entry is in the PM's internal user table either.

Then it probably has nothing to do with radius.

> Here is parts of my PM Configuration.
>
> Global Config
> -------------------
> Default Host: 0.0.0.0
> Alternate Host: 0.0.0.0
> PAP and CHAP are enabled
> Default Route: Broadcast and Listen are checked
> Assigned Address: 0.0.0.0

You will need an assigned address unless everyone has a static IP.

> I don't even have DNS on the network, do I need it?

Yes or else things wont get resolved when you show the sessions and if
your users dont know the dns and rely on the PM to pass the dns info, they
wont get any.

> User Table
> ---------------
> User Type: Login
> Network/Service: Telnet
> Host: Default
>
> Port Config
> ----------------
> Port Type: Network/Login: (Have tried just Login with same result)
> Login Service: Telnet port 23
> Hardware Flow Control
> Host: Default
>
> Most of the other parameters seem normal, but are not verified as correct.
>
> During Logon the Port in question continually shows USERNAME for status? And there is activity on the ethernet port during login.
>
> The failure message I continually get is "The MS Dial-Up Adapter is not
configured to work with the current network configuration. Please check
your server type and network configuration in the Control Panel..."

You are probably NOT getting any IP addresses via lcp negotiation to the
users.

> DUN is configured for TCP/IP only.
>
> The failure is probably telling me that the PPP connection isn't being
established.

Definitely.

> What is wrong?
>
> How does one go about configuring a PM?

Download the PM config guide from ftp.livingston.com or one of the mirror
sites like ours (ftp.ams.com) Its in PDF format so you will need adobe
acro"bat". It has many config examples in it.

Where did you get the PM 2? Didnt it come with manuals? Ive got extra sets
of manuals. We sell our refurbs with manuals when requested.

Jake Messinger 713-772-6690 jake@ams.com
Advanced Medical Systems, Inc. jake@uh.edu
8300 Bissonnet #400 fax: 713-774-3498
Houston, Texas 77074 http://www.ams.com/~jake