Re: K56Flex/X2 dilemna

John Lind (john@dexter.starfire.mn.org)
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:05:39 -0500

Joe Sasek writes:

> >> I kinda doubt it. Let the customer(ISP) decide. Bay Networks have done it
>
> Bay Networks basically share power off of the same backplane (for their 2
> different physical modem cards) and nothing more. It is a farse that they
> are misleading people to believe that they are delivering something that
> allows a single number dial in pool for X2 or K56Flex, that is _not_ what
> they are delivering.

I just wanted to provide independent (i.e. non-Livingston) confirmation
of this. When I first saw information on the Bay 5xxx stuff, I got all
excited, but on reading farther, I became suspicious, and called the
sales droid, who confirmed that it was, indeed, only one protocol at
a time on a card.

We have PM2e's for our 28.8/33.6 pool and dedicated lines (over 200
total lines) and have 5 USR dual-span TC's for our 56K (X2, obviously).
While USR tech support has driven us to the brink of madness, the modem
code itself seems to be quite solid and reliable.

John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN 55417