Re: Best routing protocol for Livngston

Tim Flavin (tim@i1.net)
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:41:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Jake Messinger wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, John Storms wrote:
>
> > At 12:30 PM 8/27/97 -0700, Rick Wagner wrote:
> > >Problem is that I am going to be adding my second T-1 to a different
> > >provider next week.
> >
> > If your providers each give you a BGP feed to your IRX or PM3 then you
> > could use BGP for that connection. Then you would still use OSPF inside
> > your network.
>
> Yah, BGP would be one way to go if going to multiple providers, BTW:
> You would NEVER use bgp inside your network, would you? But im sure you
> know this.

You would use BGP inside your own network if say you have different
routers connected to the outside world and wanted each to know about each
other.

I do just this, I have 3 routers talking BGP to the outside world, then
router 1 and 2 talk BGP to each other, as well as 1 and 3 talk to each
other, router 1 tells router 2 what it's learned from router 3, but router
3 is at an exchange point, so it only needs to know OSPF routes on my
internal network.

Tim Flavin Internet Access for St Louis & Chicago
Internet 1st, Inc Toll Free Sales & Support 800-875-3173
http://www.i1.net For more information email info@i1.net