Re: Best routing protocol for Livngston

Tom Fellenz (tlf@livingston.com)
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:05:34 -0700

OSPF.

BGP is ONLY used if you have multiple Internet Access Providers and are
setup for peering.

Since most Internet Access Providers set a static route for the IP
networks you control in your network, there is 'usually' no reason
for any routing protocol to be active on the link to/from you IAP.

OSPF is ideal for the current need to slice and dice IP networks.
VLSM is the key acronym. Variable Length Subnet Masking. RIP is not
capable of passing subnet information in routing updates, OSPF does.
This allows all routers to know where each and every block of ip
address ranges are in the network (where summarization cannot be
done).

Open a case with techsupport and our Routing Team can run through
the details with you.

Please read the release notes for 3.5 and 3.7 regarding changes that
have gone into the COMOS releases. Also study the Command Line
Administrators Guide (June 1997) and the Configuration Guide for [PM]
Products (July 1997) for config/general knowledge. A preparation for
using OSPF must include additional reading. Its not a trivial protocol.
However, if you follow some basic guidelines, Livingston makes it a
relatively trivial installation.

Please refer to 'Routing in the Internet' by Huitema.

Get cracking,
Tom Fellenz