Re: USR Connections

Leonard (pmfan@infinetgroup.com)
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 11:46:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Tom Samplonius wrote:
> I don't see any problems with my USR Sportster 33.6k, regardless of what
> I do.
>
> I think it needs to be determined what percentage of USR Sportster are
> affected. Also the possibility of modem failure should not be dismissed
> either. The Sportster is not well built, and susceptible to electrical
> fatigue. I have several Sportster that used to work great, but after
> hundreds of hours of use, don't work well connected to anything.
The "model" sportster seems to me to be a marketing ploy. Somewhat like a
second brand-name. I've encountered over 20 variants of sportsters so far.
And U$R seems to give them all very very similar names too (for example
Sportster 33.6 Voice Faxmodem and Sportster Voice 33.6 FaxModem are
different). Even "models" with the exact same name, if you look at the
chipsets _and_ the ATIx reports, turn out to be different.