Re: USR Connections

Tom Samplonius (tom@sdf.com)
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 10:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Sam wrote:

> I dialed into our PM3 running 3.7 with new modem cards and got a 33.6
> connection on my first try. The modem is still connected, and has been
> for about 5 hours.
>
> What is different though, is that I didn't use PPP. I dialed in, logged
> into the PM3 then telnetted somewhere else to keep the connection alive.
>
> Has anyone else with a USR problem tried this? It might help verify that
> the problem could be with PPP code from Lucent/Livingston? I dunno, I'm
> just babbling, but my USR's are working just fine here....
>
> --Sam

I don't see any problems with my USR Sportster 33.6k, regardless of what
I do.

I think it needs to be determined what percentage of USR Sportster are
affected. Also the possibility of modem failure should not be dismissed
either. The Sportster is not well built, and susceptible to electrical
fatigue. I have several Sportster that used to work great, but after
hundreds of hours of use, don't work well connected to anything.

Tom