Re: Telco messages (was Re: Immediate disconnects)

Sherwood Portmaster-List (livingston@iav.com)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 05:57:02 -1000 (HST)

On 14 Aug 1997, Chris Adams wrote:

> Sherwood Portmaster-List <livingston@iav.com> wrote:
> >woo, the telco message comes on? That sounds like the Telco
> >mis-programmed those lines...happened to us, but to an entire PRI
> >
> >message was like 'You are on a party line please wait for the other party
> >to pick up the line'...
>
> We have had some interesting telco messages before. Back in May (on
> Memorial Day), at about 11:30 PM one night, we stopped receiving calls.
> The people that were connected at the time were not disconnected, but
> when they hung up, nobody else could get in. When they called, they got
> the WORST possible message: "We're sorry, they number you have called
> has been disconnected or is no longer in service." GREAT! Now our
> customers think we are out of business!

Now that's a pisser! Sounds like a late night programming error...

> Of course, BellSouth never found any problem. About a month ago, we had
> about an hour mid-morning where people got the above message, a fast
> busy, "We're sorry, your call did not go through. Please try again.",
> or regular busy. About the time we figured out there was a problem and
> were picking up the phone to call BS, it went away. Again, no problem
> found.

In our geographic location, some CO's don't have enough trunks... or some
other larger local ISPs go through a DMS-100 switch and would give the
same symptom above... well almost, you'd get fast busies... without
trunks the user can't call through, with the DMS-100 there was a software
bug that happened when it got heavily loaded...

> Anybody else see anything like this from PRIs on a 5ESS switch?

Not here.. we're on a GTD-5

*soB* but I can't get anyone to call us with ISDN....

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood