Re: (ASCEND) Connection problems with K56 cards (fwd)

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 12:35:19 -0600 (MDT)

These are the kind of problems Livingston is trying to avoid by not
shipping our cards yet..=)

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.
- Gallup and Grants, New Mexico

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:49:33 -0700 (MST)
From: Joseph Hickman <josephh@psn.net>
To: Joe Portman <baron@ws4.aa.net>
Cc: ascend-users@bungi.com
Subject: Re: (ASCEND) Connection problems with K56 cards

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Joe Portman wrote:

> We are getting numerous complaints of connection problems from various
> users since we installed our K56 cards.

I can echo that.

> We are running 5.0Ap16 (tik.m40) on 7 maxes.

We're using 5.0Ap16 on one Max 4004.

> Here are some of the affected modems.
>
> This is beginning to become a major issue, as we are seeing customers
> LEAVE US for the non-K56 competition.

*sigh* I wish I didn't sound like the choir here, but I agree entirely,
Reverend.

> Quote from my support manager:
>
> I personally have received ten complaints about people not able to connect
> to us or get dropped very often, almost immediately, since the upgrade. A
> lot of them can't call the 777-6600 number locally.

Since I handle tech support and system administration (small company), I
can verify this to a tee. Customers are constantly complaining about
this. All I hear from Ascend is that it's the modem users or the fall
back that the Rockwell code needs to be updated on the user's modems...
but think of it a technical support methodology: If the customers haven't
changed and we have in some fashion, is it not the change that caused the
problems? It's the most recent change on the system (in our case the
modems upgrade). Is it not also logical to assume that there's something
that Ascend or we need to do to resolve this? The answer is most
certainly NOT telling the users they have to live with it or there's
something that they need to change when it's the upgrade that caused it to
begin with.

> No two people have called in with the same modem:
>
> Modem Speed Username
> --------------------------------
> Supra Fax 33.6 halibut

Supra modems work best with &F2 -- I'm a supra nerd. ;)

> Global Village 33.6 send

Global village, assuming this is a Macintosh, works best with &F1, CTS &
RTS (DTR) usually works, sometimes CTS only on the stranger systems.

> Maxtech 33.6 cscarim
> Mwave IBM 33.6 roche
> Hival 33.6 swestman
> Fujitsu laptop 33.6 duroboat

These I've never really dealt with - yet.

> Zoom 2805 33.6 gandk

That's tricky.. I have found a good init for a non-56K yet. &F works
sometimes.

> USR Sportster 33.6 hrsvcs

USR modems seem to be the worst problems we have. I can't say I've had
one work very well at all.

> Supra 28.8 builder

Almost every single modem that Supra makes is &F2 for PCs and &F1 for
Macs.

> Prometheus 14.4 ???

Dunno about this one.

> --------------------END QUOTE--------------------------------------------
>
> As you will NOTE, these people had no problem before the upgrade, and have
> a severe problem now.

Agreed. Again, we shouldn't have to hunt through modem databases to find
this kind of information! I simply don't have 25 minutes every single call
to spend on someone who's having a modem problem after our "upgrade".
It's NOT feasible. Cardinal 33.6 modems suddenly have tremendous problems
with this 56 "upgrade". I truthfully have tried everything I know and it
still doesn't work. Am I supposed to tell the user it's all their fault
the modems don't work?

> What is ascend doing to address this problem?

Good question.

--
Joseph Hickman
  Director of Network Operations