Re: Config of my USERS FILE - ?? MTU ??

Raymond M Schmidt (rschmidt@smtpmta.picker.com)
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:53:29 -0400

We were having alot of trouble with upload and down load speeds - found out
it's a windows 95 bug.
I thought it was an MTU setting problem at first.
For details see http://www.sns-access.com/~netpro/maxmtu.htm

cscott@freeway.net on 08/05/97 11:28:02 AM

Please respond to cscott@freeway.net

To: jake@ams.com
cc: portmaster-users@livingston.com (bcc: Raymond M Schmidt/Picker)
Subject: Re: Config of my USERS FILE - ?? MTU ??

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Jake Messinger wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Jeff Halper wrote:
>
> > Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
> > Framed-Routing = None,
> > Framed-Filter-Id = "std.ppp",
> > Framed-MTU = 1500,
> > Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,
> >

> > I was told i could increase the user's speed on the net by changing the
> > MTU to 576. Any one have any feedback on this??
>
> Depends on what they are doing. If they are doing a lot of telnet, then
> decreasing the MTU will speed them up. If they are doing file transfers,
> then it will slow them down.
We ran our users with a setting of 500 something for a while. It
actually seemed to reduce the tech calls we were getting. I think that
was because even those with connection problems were getting more packets
through (lower probability of trashing a packet with smaller MTU). The
problem we ran into was that one of the state government servers was
setting the do-not-fragment flags on packets from their web servers and
they couldn't seem to fix that. We had to go back to 1500 because none of
our users could get anything from those servers.
Chuck Scott